Monday, January 21, 2013

No Poop

Basti has not pooped in a while.  Last time he had a significant poop was 2 weeks ago Monday...  it exploded out of his diaper and Nanny had to give him an emergency bath.  After that, he didn't poop for days and his farts were getting increasingly stinkier.  Until that following Sunday he had a small but very concentrated poop...  looked like dark yellow mustard.  Surely you appreciate the image in your mind.  HA HA.  Well, he hasn't pooped again since then.  And the gas is quite strong.  I called the pediatrician's office but was told that it is normal at this stage because babies bodies are just that much more efficient in digesting the breastmilk.  As long as he is still peeing throughout the day, his belly is not hard, and he doesn't seem uncomfortable or extra cranky.  So we continue to be on high alert for poop...

On the input, Basti seems quite eager to start eating what Mommy eats.  He watches me eat and reaches out for whatever I have in my hand.  So this weekend we got him spoons, bibs, and oatmeal cereal.  When will that first non-breastmilk meal be?  Not sure.  I am looking forward to mealtime fun and mess.  But concerned about the effect it will have on poop.

When do I get to eat with you?

Fingers crossed for chocolate milk!

For the last month or so, Basti has not wanted to be rocked to sleep.  Awww...  I'm surprised this happened so soon.  I miss watching him fall asleep in my arms and smiling in his sleep.  And the feeling of success putting him in his crib without him waking up.  HA HA.  Now he woos himself to sleep.  After cuddles, and kisses, we lay him down.  He will complain some...  but will be asleep within 10 minutes.  Sometimes it takes him longer, sometimes he cries and we go in to comfort him.  He is still sleeping swaddled...  although he has just outgrown the sleepsack with built in swaddle.  Sometimes during the day I will lay him down unswaddled but give him a soft blanky to play with...  and he will play himself to sleep.


I am exhasuted.  Basti's night time sleep schedule is unpredictable.  Sometimes he wakes only once.  Sometimes he wakes 3 times.  So after yet another night of fragmented sleep, it is hard for me to find the energy to get going in the morning and get ready for work.  Sometimes Basti takes his early morning nap at 7 something, which gives me enough time to be ready by 8 when Nanny arrives.  Other times Basti won't take his early morning nap till 8...  which means that is when I get to jump in the shower and barely make it to my 9am meeting (Mon to Thu there is a 9am meeting).  And once I am at work, I have to figure when to sneak out and pump (fortunately there is an empty office upstairs I use for this purpose...  although one time I forgot to lock the door and it so happened that "someone" was looking for something and opened the door.  I think he was more embarrassed than I was...  so to make it less awkward, I stopped by his office afterwards and asked him if he was scared for life and offered him a latte.  Muah ha ha ha).  Anyways, I try to leave work at 4pm to:
1. Go food shopping or
2. Take Maja for a walk at the park or
3. Get home with time to spare so I can get dinner started.
Although sometimes I have delayed my arrival at home till just before 5pm because I don't want to hear the Nanny's broken record of why Basti hasn't pooped yet.

This is Nanny's last week...  so starting next week add packing up Basti with drop off and pick up at school to the daily routine.  OMG.  Plus washing all the bottles which is the one thing I really dislike doing.

I know tons of Moms out there go through this every day...  And I still wonder how they do it all because some days I think I am going to lose my mind.

----------------------

UPDATE!

Nanny reported Basti pooped twice today!  WOOHOO!!!

3 comments:

  1. Mei Mei, did you make Basti a bit of oatmeal for him to try? He is almost 6 months old, ready for real food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaay! Poop! And he still has the best hair ever!

    ReplyDelete