Saturday, June 2, 2012

Puppy Training

It's just the "bees" at home this week.  Philipp is in China so he might not be able to see this post until he gets back, but at least it will be here as a reminder to both since I tend to forget everything.  Only two more classes to go!

The bees.

This is our homework from training today:
1. Practice sit/stay (hold) walking away and out of sight.  I always forget to try this out, Philipp is the one who usually practices this with Maja.  In class I managed to walk away from Maja a few meters and then go back to her and release her from her stay.
2. Practice "heel" when walking...  I take Maja on her daily walks, and yes I forget to practice this too.  An addition to this one is to get her to sit automatically every time we stop during the walk...  in case I take her out on walks with baby in stroller.
3. Teach Maja an alternate behavior to barking at the neighboring cow (or whatever else may be walking by along the fence or property line).  She gets so hyped up in protector mode that she barely hears any commands at that point.  This one is going to be tough...  but necessary as when baby arrives there will be plenty of wailing around here.
4. Get a baby plush and teach Maja that it is not her toy.
5. Trainer showed us how to get doggie to sit and stay while we walk in a circle around them.
6. Surely I'm forgetting something else...  

The cow next door.

Maja has a summertime playmate at work: Kishu (our part-time summer receptionist's chihuahua) is back!  Maja is about twice the size of Kishu, but somehow they have managed to figure out how to play.  Although Maja often won't want to stop playing when Kishu has clearly had enough and just wants to chill or snooze.  Maja likes to hold a toy/bone and try to get Kishu to chase her for it...  but Kishu doesn't chase Maja very far as she is not allowed to get too far from her mom.  It's very cute to see them together.  Hard to get a good picture of them as one of them is always moving.
Kishu and Maja.

No comments:

Post a Comment