Monday, April 2, 2012

Euro Trip

I survived the crazy Euro trip.  Still recovering from the stress, strain and jetlag that come with such a trip.

From the beginning I missed my puppy bear so much.  On the first flight SFO-NWR I watched "The Artist", in which one of the protagonist is a Jack Russell Terrier, Uggie.  He was sooo adorable in the movie that it caused the waterworks to start.  I wanted to watch Tin Tin too, but I knew it would make me cry so I didn't.  Births also make me cry, even in dumb movies like "New Year's Eve".

Turns out I didn't need to worry about Maja staying with the big dogs.  She had a grand time terrier-izing them.  And although they might not admit it, Charlie and Takoda love all the attention they get from Maja.


Back to the trip, flying was not so fun for me.  I would get nauseous during and after takeoff and landing.  A couple of times I thought I wouldn't be able to keep it down...  deep breathing and ginger ale helped a lot.  And then there was the flight when suddenly my nose started to bleed.  I had one napkin left, I quickly shoved it up my nose to stop the bleeding.  We were seated right next to the toilet so P was able to get my more tissue quickly.  Getting comfortable in the seat was a challenge too, even on the lay flat seats for the over the ocean leg of the trip.  The stretched out muscles at the top of my belly complain in most positions, sitting (especially slouching) or laying.  And my upper back is sore too.  After much pillow shuffling, I found the best position to be: plane pillow behind me to support my lower back, Toto folded in half to support my upper back, plus a curved neck pillow.  I wasn't able to sleep much on any of the flights, so the traveling was quite exhausting.  Most nights I would sleep for 3-4 hours and lay awake for the rest of the night/morning.  Only 2 nights I was able to sleep like a rock.

Our first stop was in Germany.  First we drove out to Kirchzarten to check out P's bro's new home.  As their guest room is not set up yet, we stayed at a cute little hotel in an old remodeled barn.  We were able to go to our favorite restaurant, Adler in Oberried...  and we had the yummiest creme brulee for dessert!  Next day we drove to Rottenburg for family lunch.  On the way we stopped in Wehingen, where P spent the first 5 years of his life.  Family lunch was at P's favorite restaurant in Rottenburg, which is also a hotel so we got a room there.  Lunch was with P's cousins from his Mom's side, and their kids, and grandkids.  We realized that the next generation of kids is all girls!  So we will have the first baby boy in the family!


Next stop was Zurich, where we had work meetings with 2 different customers.  In Zurich we got a little down time for shopping and were able to find an anti-stretch mark belly cream that is not icky.  This might be a waste of $, but at least the creams keep the itchiness in check, for the most part.  Stretch marks on my breast are now visible.  =(

During one of our speed reading sessions (P and I got the same book to determine who reads faster), I felt baby kicking especially hard.  I put my hand over my belly and I could feel it!  So I had P put his hand on my belly and wait for the next kick...  And WOW there it was.  P was surprised how well he could feel the kick and is now expecting a little football (soccer) player or martial artist.

And with life, comes death...

We had a traumatizing experience while walking down the Bahnhofsstrasse (after our obligatory visit to Sprungli).  Fire engines and ambulances rolled up one of the side streets.  Paramedics were sectioning off the street with yellow tape, people were standing around.  As everybody was speaking in German or Swiss, I had no clue what was happening.  Suddenly we heard a loud thud...  and gasps from the onlookers.  So I asked what happened???  And P said somebody jumped off a building.  OH.  That was bad.  As I dabbled in the realm of depression in my previous life, I will refrain from analyzing the situation as most of my readers would not understand...  and I don't see the point of spending the time to explain any further.


On to baby updates:
- Tomorrow is first day of week 22!
- Weight up to ~129#
- Belly circumference is 35", it often feels like it's going to explode...  maybe due to the next point
- Constipation still present, even with pills...  frustrating situation
- I've started a baby stuff basket with the cute gifts we've gotten 
- Started a list of what to get and prep before baby arrives (thanks Suli!)...  it is all quite overwhelming, so many options, so many reviews, agh!
- Started a baby registry on Amazon (at family and friend's requests), but it is still quite sparse as I wade through all the stuff needed and options available
- Signing up for birth classes and hospital tour and all that fun stuff
- Started prenatal yoga (got a DVD back in December)

No comments:

Post a Comment