Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mommy Day

For my first Mommy Day, got the best gift ever: Basti was sitting on my lap facing me, he gave me a toothy grin, opened his arms and gave me a belly hug, resting his head on my chest.  <3 <3 <3

And how could I deny him bee PJs?!?

Stuffing an omelet into his mouth.

Maja watching Basti roll around.

Poppy is in South Africa for a trade show, 10 day trip.  I think this is the longest we have been on our own.  Poppy made a couple of videos of himself reading Basti's favorite books (more like our favorite books to read to him).   When I play them for Basti he smiles big and Maja comes into the room wondering where Poppy is.

Everybody look at the camera!

Maja as a foot rest.


Let's go!

Good morning!

I get some (ok, a lot) of anxiety going out with Basti.  I worry he is going to explode in public...  which I guess is silly because he hasn't done that once (did I just jinx myself?).  The expectation of him exploding?  Or me getting all flustered not knowing what to do?  Or worried others are judging my mommy skills?  AGH.  Who knows.  So my goal for this weekend was to go out to eat with Basti.  And so our first date was to my favorite Vietnamese restaurant (which I frequent once a week).  The owner lady was so happy to see Basti, she gave him a plate of orange and cucumber slices.  He also got to play with rice noodles.

Lunch outing.

Sometimes I let Basti roll around on the carpet...  and then I hear him giggle, and I catch Maja giving him kisses.  Tsk tsk. 

Dynamic Duo

This morning I took the kids to the nearby park for a short hike.  Later at home, I noticed Maja had something on her lip, I thought it was food stuck to her fur.  But on closer inspection, it was a tick!  AAAHHH!!!  I'd never dealt with one before so I panic for a moment (P is the in-house dog expert but it's night time in SA).  And then I checked online what to do with a tick.  Thank goodness for internet.  Simple instructions, I got tweezers, rubbing alcohol, cotton balls, and a little container with a lid.  Got the tick out and kept safe in the container, lesion seems ok and clean.  Will be monitoring the lesion to make sure it doesn't get infected.  Checked Maja all over for ticks just in case, didn't find any.

On our second date, I took Basti out to dinner to celebrate Mommy Day.  At the restaurant we saw Susana, baby from our Birthing Class Mommy group! Susana kept sneaking looks at Basti from her table, so her Mommy started calling him her boyfriend.  Hee hee.

Susana and Basti

Basti & Mommy

We had lamb chops and green beans, both of which Basti really enjoyed.  And for dessert Fuji apple sorbet, a tad too sweet for me.  I gave Basti a taste, after getting used to the unusual cold feeling, he was clamoring for more.  Oops.

Basti likes green beans.

We bought a house...  and we get the keys tomorrow!  There will be a few updates we will be doing to the house before we move in (at least I hope they're done before):
- Building a fence around the whole backyard to keep Maja safe
- Painting the whole interior of the house
- Changing floors to hardwood in the main living areas, carpet in the bedrooms
- Installing AC

With all this activity, me being the house project manager...  I have finally decided to take a sabbatical from work.  Took a lot of hemming and hawing, weighing pros and cons, etc etc etc.  But I need my sanity and Basti needs a sane Mommy.  For Summer months June/July, Basti will only be going to school 3 mornings a week.  The rest of the time we will be adventuring together!  YEY!

2 comments:

  1. Celebrating your first Mother's Day in a big way and quality time with your Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww what a great update! Good job Mommy Bee and Poppy too for being so wonderful! Lots of love to Majita too for being such a good pup. BASTI...TIA HEN TAMBIEN QUIERE ABRAZOS!

    ReplyDelete