Fortunately, I had some baby training with my nephew. I was at my sister's place for the first week of Oli's life and I made frequent visits in his early life. So I was sorta kinda prepared for what was coming, with respect to what to have at home, hospital, etc. Also, I had a few tricks up my sleeve on getting a baby to calm down. For example, sometimes when baby is fussy, singing helps... my theory on this is that baby can sense if the person holding them is tense, and singing is relaxing, which causes both to calm down.
Me holding 1-month old Oli while catching up with shows on Hulu.
My goal for welcoming Basti into our home was to keep a calm environment (que no cunda el panico!), and keep in mind that babies are sturdier than they seem... after all, babies do survive in places with much much less than all the crazy baby stuff we are so fortunate to have. In the first weeks after Basti was born, several people commented on how Philipp and I seemed so easy going given it was our first baby (because in their experience most first time parents are paranoid and stressed out). Goal achieved!
A buddy of ours in China had a baby boy a month and a half after Basti was born. He has his parents, in-laws, and an aunt and uncle all helping care for their baby... so he told us he admires us for taking care of Basti on our own. And somehow we make it work.
All babies are different. And so are their parents. And the relationship and chemistry between baby and each parent (or any person actually) is different. On top of that, everybody is different physically which means one baby holding position might be comfy for one person but not for another. So overall what works for one person, might not work for another. Which leaves everybody guessing at what baby wants. Hmmm.
When Basti cries... I check the time, since he is usually on a 2 hour cycle (feeds/sleeps 2 hours after last feeding/nap). So depending on what part of the cycle he is on, I feed him or swaddle him. Unless he is just unhappy because he wants to change positions. My go-to position to calm him down is holding him vertically on my left arm with his head over my shoulder, pat his back with my right hand and walk around so he bounces a bit. If he does fall asleep on my arm, I try putting him the crib... but if he starts to squirm when I put him in the crib, I implement the chest pat/rub and see if it gets him to pass out. If not, then pick him up and try again.
Philipp's go-to position is to hold Basti horizontal on his arm, with Basti's head cradled in his elbow and patting his butt with his hand, which causes Basti's head to wobble a bit. Most days Philipp will swaddle Basti for bedtime and make sure he is sound asleep in his crib. I have to admit sometimes I question his techniques... but I keep in mind that we are all different and I respect his opinion, so I keep my mouth shut. Although the look on my face might give me away...
Sometimes when I am I just so exhausted during the day, and Basti is willing, we do side-laying nursing in bed. If the stars are aligned, Basti will pass out right there and I can cat nap next to him. In the last week I have figured out that Basti will nurse longer if I stand up and walk around the house. This can be tiring since he is getting heavier quickly... but I guess it is part of my workout. Ha ha. Hey, whatever works.
A couple of weeks ago Philipp went on his first work trip. Whhhaaa... I missed him most at night for the bedtime routine and in the mornings when he usually brings me breakfast while Basti is nursing. Thank goodness Tia Huebo was able to come stay with us for the week Phlipp was gone. Most days we went out on adventures visiting bakeries all over Sonoma, and Tia Huebo cooked Panamanian comfort food for me.
Welcome home Poppy!
This past weekend we made a brief stop at the pumpkin patch down the road to get some photos. Basti wore his bear outfit.

As they say: "All is well that ends well!" Very happy that you have gotten an upper hand of things with your lovelly, cute baby!
ReplyDelete