Monday, February 13, 2012

Star Trek

I grew up watching Start Trek.  I remember Pops would take us to the to the "American" tape rental place in Curundu on weekends, and he would pick up Star Trek (the original) tapes.  I know I saw all the movies, I just don't remember much about them (for those who don't know, I have very bad memory [like the time we watched The Abyss...  3 hours in into the movie I realized I'd seen it and I knew what would happen next]).  Eventually we moved on to Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Data was my favorite character.  Pops would take all the girls (S, L, X, Hen, me) to watch the movies at the theater.  "Life forms, you tiny little life forms... where are you?"


So I told P he couldn't become Pops' son-in-law without ever seeing any of the Star Trek movies!  Over achiever that P is, he said we could watch the movies from the very first one...  oh boy was that first movie slow and boring.  HA HA.

Last night we skipped all the way to Star Trek (2009), which I had seen at least 3 times already (cause it's so good!).  Imagine my surprise when I started crying in the first scene...  during which James T. Kirk is born.  WTF?!?  I cried and laughed (at the silliness of me crying) and cried some more.  And I'm not one to cry at movies.  In my whole movie watching life I think I've cried in 2 movies (Legends of the Fall, when the brother dies in war; and Passion of the Christ).  I asked P if I was going nuts, he just said "you're not crazy, you're pregnant."  =P

1 comment: