Monday, August 5, 2013

12 Month Check-Up

So many things to report, so little time (and focus).  Basti had his 12 month check-up with his doctor last Thursday, here are the stats:

Weight: 20 # 6 oz
Length: 28.5 in
Head Circumference: 46.5 cm


All pretty average.  Although everybody keeps saying what a big boy he is...  but he really isn't.  Basti has green light to eat ANYTHING he wants.  Just beware of chocking hazards, like popcorn.

Basti's "playroom" (the dining room since we don't have a table) looks like a toy store after all the gifts he got for his birthday.  So I put away about half the new toys in the closet, and plan on swapping out toys weekly so he doesn't get bored of the same ones.  Now we're ready for play dates to come over, lots to keep the kiddies entertained.


Finally his 8th tooth is coming out, slowly, to complete all the front teeth.  I keep forgetting to "brush" his teeth to get the routine going, probably because I know the brushing doesn't really do much.

Basti is standing with more confidence now, holding on to anything and everything.  Commando crawling with a toy in his mouth is sometimes his preferred mode of transport (the other being anybody's arms, especially if there are glasses or a necklace to tug on).  Several people have reported seeing him cruising (walking sideways while holding on to furniture), but I have yet to see it.  He did take a couple of tentative steps over the weekend holding on to the back of his little car, but he quickly sat down afterwards.


Maja has been trying to play with Basti...  When Basti is ripping paper (gift tissue, instruction booklet, magazine), Maja will grab a piece and rip it too.  Or if Basti is carrying a toy around, Maja will try to take it to play keep away.  And then Basti is always trying to grab Maja's squeaky tennis balls.

Basti babbles a lot.  Sometimes it sounds like a word, but I'm sure it's just his random syllable generator so happens to make a word combination.  A couple of weeks ago Basti would wave at Maja whenever we got home from the pool or store.  And then I heard him say "Aja".  Which I thought was likely his way of saying "Maja!".  First word with meaning???  But now he says Aja to everythning...  so who knows.

Swimming classes are finally over!  And we have a happy floating baby!  It's quite a sight to see him go in the water looking around underwater and then flipping over on his own (due to ISR regulations I won't post any videos on this site because it is public).

Weekend was full of social events for little Basti.  Saturday we went to a baby shower and a birthday bbq, both in SF.  Sunday we had a picnic at a winery in Napa with friends from out of town.  Oh, and then dinner at home with an overnight guest.


Now we get ready for our next BIG adventure: Germany!  Poppy is very excited about introducing Basti to real German food.  And I'm excited about the yummy salads (and I'm not a salad fan).  I am quite anxious about the long flights though...  Here we go!

Going to miss you Maja Bear!

2 comments: